Friday, May 18, 2007

"Do you think they want me on the High School team?"

I have a Jimmy story that I just have to share.

We got home today and I asked him to go and get me the mail. He came running in the house with an absolute glow on his face.

"I got a letter!"

I said, "Wow, that is great. Who sent it to you?"

"The Hononegah Head football coach!" He said with so much excitement that I could never get it across right in writing. Then he said with pure innocence, "Do you think that they want me on the High School Football team, Mom?"

Not wanting to totally burst the poor kids bubble I told him that he should just open it up and see what it was all about.

He started to open it ever so gently then pulled the envelope towards his heart, closed his eyes, and said, "This is just like in the movie Rudy when he gets his letter!"

He continued to open it and found a flyer in there about a football camp that the high school boys run during the summer. He was just as excited about that! He said, "Look Joe, they asked ME to come to their camp. Can you believe it?"

At which time his wise, almost teen aged brother burst his bubble by telling him that they send those out to everyone one signed up for pee-wee football! He didn't say it quite that nice however. There were a couple of Duh's and Dummy's thrown in there somewhere.

Jimmy took the news well and can't wait for camp!!!

4 comments:

Amy said...

those of us who know Jimmy can imagine the glow and excitement on his face!!! good for him!!!

Katers said...

reminds me of going to a garage sale with my mom and getting a purse for a quarter. It had a silver strap and some rhinestones. I remember asking the lady selling it if they were real, and believed her when she said yes.

I also remember Bridget bursting that bubble when we got home...uh, older siblings...

Anonymous said...

Oh! Jimmy....what would this world be like without your honest innocence...

Unknown said...

Oh Molly! I just love that story. So adorable... though I'm sure Jimmy wouldn't like me using that word. :)