Friday, November 28, 2008

Thanksgiving...

We had such a wonderful Thanksgiving this year! My mom, Mary, Ben, and Danny all came over to our house for the first time! Since Mary lives in Madison now and has to work at 4 the next morning any other place was just too far to go and they would have been sitting at home alone on Thanksgiving. We couldn't let that happen so we decided to have it with just our little family at our house. We were a little bit nervous and not sure how it would go because this is the first time that we are not one of 70 some people at the Ryan Family Thanksgiving. It actually turned out to be quite a success.

My mom and Mary came between 12 and 1. Phil already had his turkey going in the roaster so he and Ben headed right for the TV and started watching football, and the three of us started to prepare all of the food. The kids all helped too. Danny helped to measure things and stir things, Jimmy actually made the pumpkin pie all by himself, and we used Joey's teenaged muscles to mash our potatoes!! It was so fun to all be in there together preparing every part of the meal. At around 3 the turkey was done and we all sat around the dining room table passing the bowls of food that we had just made. Everything was so good. The turkey was very moist thanks to Phil's "secret" recipe. And all of our side dishes were delish! When we were done we were so stuffed that Jimmy went upstairs and put on his jammie pants because they were strechy!!

During desert, as a joke, Mary pushed Ben's cupcake at him as he was going for a bite and got a little frosting on the tip of his nose and his beard. Ha, Ha, right. Well that turned into a food fight right there in my kitchen. I tried to stay unnoticed, you know laughing at everyone else but not actually getting any on me, but before I knew it I got hit from behind with a paper plate full of whip cream! While I was peeling the plate off of my face I could hear big foot steps running away from me and I knew it was Phil! Before I knew it Mary got Phil back for me which looked even funnier because he wears glasses. The whole thing only lasted about a minute and a half but it was so much fun that it may become an annual part of our Thankgiving feast!! Mary took pictures of all of us so when she sends them I will share them.

Overall, it was one of our best Holidays. I am so glad that we made these memoires with the kids and with each other. We all look forward to many, many more!

No comments: